Where did the edges go???

Please tell me the loud alarm bells going off in my head right now are unwarranted. I just tried to create a new blank mural and...first of all, there were dots, which was...interesting, but what is alarming is that there is as of right now no way to see where my mural ends. The dark background behind it is completely gone. My strong hatred for the endless background is a main reason I strongly prefer Mural to Miro and avoid the latter like the plague.

Adding to my alarm is that when I went into Mural settings, the option to decide on mural size was gone! Please, please tell me this is a temporary oddity and that the edges will be visible again shortly. This is a very, very important feature and should NOT be removed. It is key as I turn every finished mural into a png and design it so it fits on a real A4 page. The default size, which a person can change anyway, was perfect. Why would that be taken away???

Comments

• In our situation, these infinity boards were very usefull. So I hope that the Mural developper can find a solution to keep everybody happy. 😅

• Meghan
    Meghan ✭✭✭

@Christina, I'll see if we can get you some assistance on this one!

• Irish
    Irish Mural Team mod

Hi @Christina

Irish here from MURAL customer support. MURAL is always trying to bring new ways to make your workday easier.

Right now we’re testing out some upcoming features with a group of users, and you’ve been included in that group.

This will be disabled soon, so don’t worry it will be back to normal before you even notice.

Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Have a great day!

• Christina
    Christina ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@MeghanB Thank you for chasing this one up, I really appreciate it.

@Irish : Yes, you are right, it has now been explained to me that I was made part of a test group without my prior knowledge regarding this feature.

While I am really happy to be part of these studies as long as I am told beforehand and have some say in the matter, this was quite a different experience.

Imagine you wake up one morning, go to get dressed for work, and discover your closet has been burned down. Your grandmother walks in to your bedroom, smiling, and announces she has brought you a present, a great new feature called Taking Everything You Like & Replacing It With What She Thinks You Want.

Grandma has a wooden chest with her, which she proceeds to open with a flourish to reveal a collection of hand-knit sweaters she made herself, just for you. From now on, she explains, this is what you will wear. As she is pointing out all the reasons this is so much better than what you had before, you stand there, stunned, wondering how this could happen.

Specifically, you are wondering why you should have to defend your clothing choices to your grandmother, why she felt it was ok to march into your bedroom and burn them while you were sleeping, and why you even have to explain why this is just not something nice people do.

You might wonder if her mind has begun to fall apart, but as she insists that it is you and your lack of gratitude that is the problem, you start to question reality itself.

Who is getting some gaslighting here?

• Meghan
    Meghan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Oh no, @Christina! I can understand the frustration and the analogy. I’ll do my best to help.

In short- our wires were crossed, and though it wasn’t our intent, the impact of that is clear. Infinite canvas is something we are testing internally; it shouldn't have gone live in your instance, nor to anyone. 

Processes are in place to assure this is mitigated in the future. @Amanda and I thank you and value your input for product feedback.

• Christina
    Christina ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @MeghanB!

Sorry for the delayed reaction, I just got back from Sardinia and am catching up now.

Very relieved to see everything looks lovely and as I left it in Mural. It is so hard to make everybody happy, and the people liking that endlessness feature must be very vocal. I just hope the quiet ones who are not asking for this change, in other words, quiet because they love the framing Mural offers, are not forgotten.

The fact that time-boxing is even a word, and an element that Mural includes in every single template it produces, indicates to me that the company is aware that limits, or creative constraint, are important. As teachers, we don't tell students during exams to write as much as they want; there are clear delineations.

Being able to keep murals separate like they are now is key for a number of reasons, so I hope rather desperately that the current set up stays as an option for those of us who would rather swim in a pool than be helicopter dropped into the middle of the Atlantic, even if that other thing is introduced too. Fingers crossed!

• Meghan
    Meghan ✭✭✭

Welcome back, @Christina! 🤸‍♂️ Hoping your time was a restful one!

Glad that things are reverted to what works best for you! I can assure you (as someone who can be the quiet one), we haven't forgotten those you mentioned and are always open to the feedback :)

As always, we'll do our best to keep you updated on any changes; thanks again 💥