⚡⚡ Quick tip — Design your own templates like a pro with one simple tip

[Deleted User]
edited June 2021 in Templates

Do you often run out of space 😅 when designing your own templates? Does your content have different sizes 👕which forces you to constantly zoom in 🔍️ and out 🦅 to be able to read what is says?

There is a very simple trick 🤗 that help you make the most of the space in your templates while ensuring consistent sizing 💆 across all the content. Here it comes! 👻

🤯 Keep all sticky notes to their default size!

Why?

1. Uses space more efficiently. The canvas is built for sticky notes of default size.
  2. Icons, shapes, titles are all scaled to the sticky notes.
  3. Looks more consistent and harmonic.

But how do I know if the sticky notes are default size? 😱

Select the sticky notes you want to check (hold SHIFT + drag to marquee select). Select 'Resize' from the content toolbar hovering above the sticky notes and choose resize to default.

What's one thing you'd share 💝 with people about composing amazing 💫 templates in MURAL?

Read Know Your Scales in MURAL for more tips ✍️ on how to design your templates to be readable 🤓 on any zoom level.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2021

Great tip, stave off a revolt and keep your sticky notes default 😎

It is great to add a sticky note as the first element to your mural so you can scale (!!) (sticky notes = numero uno) . It also means when you add text boxes for your title, sub-heading and general copy you can make sure that they are not too big in comparison. Which means you have the perfect foundations for success!

ANNNNND never EVER feel like you have to super zoom in to read headlines on a template!

You are groovin' if there is no zoom-in 👀👀👀👀 (😎😎😎😎) (🥳) (👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀) (💎)

• Instead of making sticky notes larger you can also use the Pop-out shortcut to see see how elements look within the context of your entire mural, without having to zoom.

Just hold down the X key (think X-ray) 😎 and move your cursor over an element inside a mural you want to magnify 🔍️ to see it in detail.

• Just in case you need to let collaborators know, you can share this video: https://share.vidyard.com/watch/RSjNxeedJuGJXWb7MHPUj5

• JulieWhitehouse
    JulieWhitehouse Mural Alum mod
    edited May 2021

This is a great tip. I often struggle with the sizing of elements on the canvas, so I am glad to know about this trick.

Tricks and tips are such a great part of understanding MURAL. I love knowing them, and then sharing with others along the way. Thanks for this, I am ready to put it to use when I create my next design!