New Template Feedback Needed! Our MURAL Museum - Pre-Course Template

Sasha
Sasha Mural Team mod

We are working on a template that Instructors can send to their students before the first class to get used to working in MURAL, while also curating a space for them to get to know each other and their expectations for the course. Please let us know your thoughts and feedback!

Our MURAL Museum - Pre-Course Template

https://app.mural.co/t/muraluniversity8865/m/muraluniversity8865/1623386164031/41b7c58600186c63c81c9e53a56b6a72ab28fd51?sender=uc35c60f579cc96ab29f63979

Get your students prepared to collaborate in MURAL before your first class while also getting to know them and their expectations for your course.

With the MURAL MUSEUM of [Insert Course Title :-)], you can create an intimate exhibition space for students (and you) to get to know their soon-to-be-classmates and share their expectations of the course. Not only will this template help deepen connections between students, it creates an artifact that you can reference and reflect upon as you move forward through your course. The process of completing the museum will give students the opportunity to learn the basics of MURAL and set them up for success when they begin to visually collaborate as part of your course.

The halls of the museum include:

1. FEATURED ARTISTS BIOS: Help us get to know you through a short bio, while practicing navigating the board and typing into a sticky

2. WORDS OF WISDOM: Share some timely wisdom with a quote or proverb that's been meaningful to you these days. Learn how to create a post-it, move it around, and change its color

3. DIGITAL COLLAGE: Tell a story that shows us something important about you, but only with images. Practice how to insert, move, and manipulate images and icons

4. GLOBAL MEDIA: Mark where you call home and pick up how to insert videos into the MURAL board

5. MAPS OF MINDS: Create a diagram that maps how you're thinking about this course right now, including questions, things you're curious about, and anything else that comes to mind. Learn how to create diagrams with shapes, text, and connectors

6. MUSEUM LIBRARY: Contribute to our library with an article or publication that's advanced your thinking in a significant way. Practice adding hyperlinks to images and commenting

7. GREAT EXPECTATIONS: State the most important things you'd like to take away from this class. They can be skill-based, learnings, deliverables, or anything else that's important to you. Practice creating stickies and commenting.

Remember: Any hall of the museum can be updated to better suit your specific course and group of students, just create the mural from the template and update the text boxes in the Exhibition Section and the corresponding museum map. We hope you and your students have fun getting to know each other while learning MURAL!  

Comments

• Christina
    Christina ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

OH my goodness, I LOVE this template! It makes me wish I was starting my semester instead of ending it now so I could use it post-haste! When will this and the wonderful syllabus builder template be available for download so we can play around with it? I find it is much easier to come up with suggestions once a template has been employed in a real-life situation. Fantastic work on both of them! So visually appealing.

The two things I would suggest are a few Mural-ly images, like the hands and arrows often seen on the website, and a mention of adding a song somewhere too.

This is something that really wow'ed my students this semester, and it introduces the short-video-within-Mural function too, which is very valuable and definitely deserves to be highlighted.

• Sasha
    Sasha Mural Team mod

Thank you @Christina that is wonderful feedback and I am so excited you love the template. Both should be published soon (hopefully by the end of the month). I updated the Library section to include video and audio as well and will include instructions on how to add. We will be sure to let you know when education templates get published.

• Christina
    Christina ✭✭✭✭

One more thing @Sasha: A very special highlight of Mural for my students is the ability to quickly put in an animation (i.e. GIF) or sticker - the latter of which I just discovered recently myself is possible by typing in "animated" or "giphy" and "sticker" and then a key word, like "plant".

For my class I asked them to include one moving image, be it a quote, meme, animal or whatever. It is the ideal thing for adding a touch of humor to a new group, which is quite bonding. They really enjoyed it, to the point that I could literally see in real time how discovering that aspect turned their initial "Is this going to be a stressful new thing I have to learn?" concerns into "This is so cool!" revelations.